It’s easy to slow down toward the end of the year. In 2018 I’ll try to be more deliberate in front loading the first half of the year. Here is the list of books I read. I’d like to try and hit 52 books per year.
- When Breathe Becomes Air – Kalanathi
- Purity – Jonathan Franzen
- The Art of Grace, On Moving Well Through Life – Sarah Kaufman
- Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life – William Finnegan
- The Tower – Kelly Cordes
- Competing Against Luck – Clayton Christiansen
- Nothing is True and Everything is Possible
- Hooked – Nir Eyal
- The World Beyond Your Head – Matthew B. Crawford
- The Glass Cage (Nicholas Carr)
- Machine Learning for Designers – PDF
- Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism
- Thinking in Systems: A Primer, Donella Meadows
- How to Makes Sense of any Mess – Abby Covert
- Presence – Amy Cuddy
- Hillbilly Elegy: A memoir of a family and culture in crisis
- Quiet: The Power of Introverts, Susan Cain
- Service Design: From Insight to Implementation
- Radical Candor
- Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters
- The Second Machine Age (McAffe/Brynjolfsson)
- The Last Samurai – Helen DeWitt
- Ready Player One
- Blue Ocean Strategy
- Product Leadership
- What Got You Here Won’t Get You There – Goldsmith
- Sprint – Knapp (Google Ventures)
- Super Intelligence, Nick Bostrum
Best fiction book of 2017 (from this list) – Barbarian Days … or The Last Samurai. Both were great. I can’t decide.
Worst book of 2017 (from this list) – Competing Against Luck (fucking terrible)…but I powered through it.
Best nonfiction/work book of 2017 (from this list) – Thinking in Systems. I was surprised at how much I was able to glean from this little tome.